Activities and such

Ever since I heard about it, I’ve liked the idea of Battlefleet Gothic (BFG). I didn’t know anyone who played it and the models are pretty expensive for what they are so I didn’t think much more about it until one day when I was poking around ebay or craiglist or something. There was a lot of BFG models including a pile of rule books and BFG magazines all for $200. This was well below cost and I jumped at the opportunity. That was nearly 8 years ago now and I’ve never done a thing with any of it until somewhat recently. I finally assembled and based all of the models and then they sat again untouched.
I broke out the airbrush last weekend to get some colour down on a couple of Lizardmen regiments and afterward decided to base coat the Imperial Fleet as well. Airbrushing is amazing; I got the based coat and a highlight of dark grey done on all of the Imperial ships in about 30 minutes! I plan on doing a final highlight this Wednesday and also doing some quite spot colors for windows, gun barrels and such. If that goes well enough, I may also get started on all of the prows…. something of a point of interest on the Imperial ships. I will post some photos of the work as well.
I’ve been working on a number of projects lately while still managing to get things finished rather than get distracted. I think I need to keep things broken up like this so I don’t burn out like I tend to do when going full steam ahead on one army. Aside from the BFG and Lizardmen painting action I’ve been working on my second scratch built dreadnought drop pod, which will be plasticard instead of cardboard this time around… although I’m not sure that it’s a huge improvement for this particular model. You can cut out printed cardboard quickly with scissors but tracing out the cuts on plasticard is a bit tedious, especially for complex shapes. I wonder if plasticard would run through my printer!
I’ve also been pondering my Eldar paint scheme lately and have changed from a yellow and blue Iyanden army to a turquoise and white army that I can’t recall the name of. Having an Imperial Fists project in the works as well, I’m likely to get sick of painting yellow and I want the Eldar to have a very unique look to them among the rest of my armies so that they feel more alien. I’m planning to do up a squad of banshees or a warlock as a test. I hope to get started this weekend.
I recently changed and fancied up the project gallery summary page a bit to include projects that I haven’t properly started yet but I fully intend to complete. This will give people an idea of what might be coming up and also remind me of what I need to do!
Finally, I’ve been doing a lot of building and tweaking of Warhammer: Invasion decks on my deckbox account.

Lizardmen for Kings of War

I’ve been working with Neldoreth to playtest and tweak the Reptilemen army list that he designed for use in Kings of War. It’s been a lot of fun and I think that we’ve come up with a balanced list that is exciting to use. You can download a copy of the army list from his Hour of Wolves website here. For testing, I’ve been using my mostly assembled but unpainted GW Lizardmen figs and the fun I’ve been having with KoW has inspired me to get going on the project. I’m going to theme the bases around a jungle like swamp/marsh that has some human settlement on it. The Lizards will be driving those pesky bastards out of the jungle and back to where ever they came from! Below are photos of some work-in-progress bases that I recently started making as well as some temporary model placement shots that I’ll use for reference when the painting is complete and I glue the figs onto the finished bases. I also picked up a new tool/toy that I plan to use extensively in this project. It’s an Iwata CR Revolution air brush, complete with pistol grip moisture trap, fancy hose, and a brushrest/cleaning station. For a compressor I’m using a 3 gallon Master Craft compressor that I picked up from Canadian Tire for use in my renos. So far it has serve well for staplers and nail guns so I’ve no doubt it will be more than enough for painting… if not a tad loud. Hopefully I catch on to the technique quickly and don’t have to redo too many lizards!